If you’re planning on making some changes to your life, like getting more quality sleep, then what better time to start them than the new year. Carry on reading to discover more healthy habits you should be making this new year and how to stick to them.
Get More Quality Sleep
A good night’s sleep can help you remain at a healthy weight and reduce the risk of severe health conditions. Proven tips to help you achieve a good night’s sleep include:
- Stick to a schedule: Go to bed and get up simultaneously every day and set aside no more than 8 hours for sleep.
- Food and drink: Avoid large meals a couple of hours before bedtime, and although alcohol may make you feel sleepy, it certainly won’t contribute to a quality night’s sleep.
- The ideal environment: Noise and exposure to light make sleep a challenge so ensure the room where you sleep is quiet, dark, and if necessary, use dark shades and earplugs or other devices to create the perfect environment.
- Avoid napping: Daytime naps can interfere with nighttime sleep. If you can’t avoid them, at least limit them to no more than 30 minutes and never late in the day.
- Stay active: Regular activity such as exercise promotes better quality sleep, especially when done outdoors. However, avoid rigorous or stressful activities a couple of hours before bedtime.
Cut Back on Your Alcohol Intake
Around 39 million people in the United States drink too much. By cutting back or quitting altogether, you’ll soon begin to reap the health benefits. After only a week of abstaining, you may notice you’re getting better sleep. Week two could see you losing weight, and a reduction in your blood pressure should start to take place after a month.
Limit Screen Time
Research shows that too much screen time can impair brain development. Furthermore, other issues linked to spending excessive time on smartphones include sleep deprivation, a higher risk of obesity, and impaired socializing skills.
You can limit the amount of time you spend in front of a screen by not taking your phone to bed, turning off notifications, and agreeing on switch-off times.
Boost Your Mood Through Self Care
One of the cornerstones of self-care is eating well. So set aside a couple of days during the week to prepare yourself a healthy meal. Fashion not only enhances your appearance, but it can also make you feel better about yourself. So, what better way of boosting your mood than updating your wardrobe with some comfortable basics.
Involve Your Kids
Involving your kids in your new healthy lifestyle means you can encourage each other. A great way of keeping youngsters interested is to implement some technology into their regime, such as a smartwatch. The latest editions for kids feature easy-to-use parental controls, GPS, and medical ID in case of emergency.
Out With the Old and In With the New
Breaking old bad habits and developing good ones is not always easy. Still, with a bit of perseverance and with the support and encouragement of your friends and family, you can achieve a healthier and happier way of living.
If you feel that you need additional support and accountability, you can lose weight by following the Activate Metabolics Program at Tree of Life Wellness Center! We offer complimentary informational 15-minute phone calls to answer any additional questions you may have.