What is CBD?
CBD or cannabidiol is the most abundant compound found in the hemp plant. CBD products will also be called hemp extract. These are synonymous. Hemp is a species of a cannabis plant. The other one you are familiar with is marijuana. Keep reading to find out the difference!
Does CBD get me high?
No. CBD will not get you high. The maximum amount of THC (the intoxicating compound in marijuana) in CBD is .3% – yes, POINT THREE PERCENT. Compare that with marijuana which contains a minimum of 20% THC.
Is CBD legal?
Yes! The Federal 2018 Farm Bill made hemp (CBD) products legal to produce, sell, and consume in all 50 states. State can pass their own CBD/Hemp laws so they do vary by state. In Minnesota CBD products are completely legal.
What is CBD good for? What are the benefits?
Our body has an Endocannabinoid System (ECS) which is a network of receptors for cannabinoids, the compounds found in hemp. This system helps to maintain homeostasis (balance) throughout our body. In turn, this helps to regulate a variety of functions such as sleep, pain, anxiety, immune system responses and more. Since receptors are found throughout the body people can find relief from a variety of ailments as the body is moved back into homeostasis.
How do I know I’m getting a high quality CBD product?
Not all CBD products are created equal. CBD products are not yet regulated by the FDA. This does make finding good quality products a little more tricky. At Tree of Life we have done the homework for you so you can trust that these products are what they actually say they are!
Our CBD products are:
- Certified organic or use organic farming practices and are in the process of getting certified
- Pesticide free
- Grown in the USA (our Carpe Diem brand is grown in Otsego!)
- Third party tested by independent labs – available to you
How much should I take?
This will vary from person-to-person as each person will metabolize CBD differently. A good rule of thumb is to start low and slow and work your dose up as needed. Best results will be achieved with taking CBD consistently each day. Taking CBD sporadically will yield less noticeable results, if any.
What types of CBD products are there?
- Tincture: the most common CBD product is a tincture, which is a concentrated liquid you consume. This form is the easiest for modifying and working on your optimal dose.
- Capsules: tincture encapsulated. This provides a set dose, convenient for on-the-go.
- Gummies: tincture formulated into a gummy. Provides a set dose as well as a favorable flavor.
- Topicals: creams, gels, balms, etc. These are targeted for pain relief on specific areas. Great compliment to an ingestible form of CBD.
- Fibers: helpful for digestion with the benefits of CBD.
- Beverage Enhancer: unflavored & flavored options of a liquid form of CBD that can be added to beverage such as coffee, tea, smoothies, etc.
- Other products: there are also a variety of food and drinks infused with CBD. Again, it is important to know about the company to ensure a high quality CBD product.
Does CBD interact with medications?
CBD products can effect liver enzymes that regulate some prescription drugs. This could decrease the effectiveness of the prescription drug and the CBD. Check with your provider if you are concerned about a medication interaction.